Case 3: Pattern Validation
- Right-click on a cell in the row you want to validate and choose Data Validation from the context menu.
- The Data Validation wizard will appear as shown below.
- Select the Pattern radiobutton if it is not already selected as shown below and then click Next.
- The value entry screen will display as shown below.
- Select the type of pattern to use from the drop-down list shown below.
The available types of patterns are as follows.
- Alpha Capital
Only the alphabetical characters A through Z may be entered and all characters entered must be in upper case.
- Alpha Lower Case
Only the alphabetical characters A-Z may be entered and all characters entered must be in lower case.
- Alpha All
Only aplhabetical characters A-Z may be entered. Both upper and lower case entries are permitted.
Only numbers may be entered. No other characters are permitted.
A time must be entered in the format HH:MM where H=hour and M=minute.
Date entries only are permitted. Any entries must be in the mm/dd/yy format where m=month, d=day and y=year. The year must be in two-digit format, where four digit year entries are not allowed.
- Email Address
Only email addresses may be entered.
- The Finish window will display as shown below. Click Finish.
- The Pattern Validation case has now been set for this row.